Skip to main content

That Little Extra

Day 2 - What I learned today...

There's an old saying, the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.  Anyone who's walked through the gates at Walt Disney World knows they know what that little extra is.  I'm currently reading Lee Cockerell's book Creating Magic. 

Lee is a former Executive Vice President of Operations for the Walt Disney World Resort.  Lee led a team of over 40,000 cast members who daily made dreams come true.  The first story he tells in the book is about the summer of 2004 when three major hurricanes hit the park in just over a month.  Yes, they had to shut down during the storm.  I'm as big of a Disney nut as you'll find and even I wouldn't go out in 105 mile an hour winds.  What amazed me in the story, was how everyone worked together to secure the park for the coming storm.  (You should know that when I read this I picture Snow White and the Dwarves in full costume nailing plywood over the windows of the castle.)  After the storm hit, they were able to clean the park and open the next day on time.  He talks of cast members who had to have been stressed, exhausted, and quite frankly worried about their own homes and families working together to clean up behind the scenes while entertaining guests at the hotels.  In my head, I picture families who save and plan for a year or more to make that once in a lifetime trip to Walt Disney World only to get there just as a hurricane hits.  Kids so close to the magic they can taste it and would probably go out in the 105 mile an hour winds if their parents allowed.  What could end up as a nightmare vacation, saved because Mickey and Minnie made an extra round in the hotel during the rain and because the park opened on time the next day.  He goes on to tell how they also helped their community and cast members families recover from the storm and that is an even better story (check it out in his book!).

What struck me was that a man who held this amazing leadership position for so many years started his leadership book with one of the handful of days that the park had to close.  He quickly clarified that the point of the whole story was to show that, "[t]he real test [of your leadership principles] comes when a crisis hits..."  In good times, Mr. Cockerell had plenty of trends to track and letters to read from customers to know what was working and what could stand to be tweaked.  But at a time when nature took over and every single cast member had to make on-the-spot decisions they managed to work together and bring each other through the other side.  I am guessing that it is the absolute nightmare of leaders the world around and his team, his cast, performed beautifully.  Of course, it was the perfect story with which to start his book.  I am hooked and can't wait to keep reading. 

Today I learned many things, but most importantly, I learned that when you have the least control is when your true leadership style (and effectiveness) shines through.  Those who have good systems, good training, and people working towards a common mission in place in a crisis will pull through the quickest.  It is certainly a lofty standard, but obviously well worth the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Extraverted Intuitive Needs to be Productive

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is based on the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl G. Jung. Jung observed that people have inborn preferences for gathering information and making decisions and that these preferences guide an individual’s behavior. The mother/daughter team of Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers expanded on Jung’s theories and created an assessment to make the combined work accessible to all individuals. Today, the assessment is used by most Fortune 100 companies and over two million people worldwide, annually. The assessment identifies an individual’s inborn preferences on four dichotomous scales: where you focus your energy, how you prefer to take in information, how you make decisions, and how you deal with the outer world. Type is best used to understand other people, improve communication, and develop individual skills. The first dichotomy is Extraversion (gets energy from other people) and Introversion (gets energy from reflection).  The second is

You Will Never Be As Hard on a Single Working Mother as She is On Herself

I was recently half an hour late to a Junior League of Washington meeting and a when I asked a question about something they had discussed earlier a friend made a joke about getting there on time.  Yes, within no time at all I realized she was making a joke and didn't worry about her.  The reason it hit home and I continued to worry about being late was that I was beating myself up inside about being late.  Her teasing comment was barely heard because of the screaming judgmental voice inside every single mother that says "you can't do this" or "you're doing it wrong." To give you a little perspective, let me give you an idea of what I needed to do to get to my meeting at 7:00 PM.  I needed to leave work at 5:00 PM, walk to a metro station, wait for the right train and take it to my station about six miles away, walk to my son's daycare to pick him up, get the feedback for the day from his teacher, on this particular day we had to find the shoe my s

Rule of Thumb for Leadership Development

How committed to that leadership development program you signed up for (or were nominated for) are you? Better yet, what does committed mean to you? I will try to attend the whole class except for that phone call I need to take and checking e-mails during the program. I will put my out of office on for the time of the program and attend the whole session.   I will do all the pre-work assigned. I will make notes and incorporate something from the program afterwards. I will work for at least six months to integrate the concepts, reflect on application "experiments," and revise my process. In a world where training professionals are constantly being able to state the return on investment for leadership training, the dirty little secret is that there is often very little return because the participants are not committed to the program.  Honestly, if you are not spending 7-10 hours working with the new concepts outside of the classroom for every hour you are inside th