Skip to main content

Weekly Challenge - What Are Your Goals for the Week?

We've all heard it - you are more likely to achieve a goal if you write it down and more likely still if you tell someone else.  It seems easy, right?  So why do we hesitate to write down and share our goals?  I can think of two popular ones right off the bat.

If we say it out loud it won't come true.  We've all heard this one in some form or another, usually when  someone is expecting a new job offer or baby.  That little voice in our head says don't count your chickens until they're hatched.  Understood.  However, there is a difference between telling someone your goal is to get a new job in the next three months and telling someone that you expect to be working for X company by the end of the month.  I know setting SMART goals asks us to be specific, but in this respect a little vagueness is understood.

If we don't achieve the goal we will be a failure in our own eyes and those of the people we told.  Rubbish.  I have a good friend at work who is always telling people her wildest goals.  Yes, some people roll their eyes.  And those are the same people who are picking their chins up off the floor when she achieves them.  What could be more satisfying.  Instead of holding back, tell your biggest critic and then watch their amazement as you succeed.

So, my challenge to you this week is tell someone (post it in a comment here, too!) of a goal you have for this week.  Come back and brag when you've achieved it!

Just to be fair, my goal for this week is to get 275 page views on my blog by this time next Sunday.  You professional bloggers out there might think that isn't much, but it is a big stretch for me.  I'll keep you updated...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Extraverted Intuitive Needs to be Productive

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is based on the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl G. Jung. Jung observed that people have inborn preferences for gathering information and making decisions and that these preferences guide an individual’s behavior. The mother/daughter team of Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers expanded on Jung’s theories and created an assessment to make the combined work accessible to all individuals. Today, the assessment is used by most Fortune 100 companies and over two million people worldwide, annually. The assessment identifies an individual’s inborn preferences on four dichotomous scales: where you focus your energy, how you prefer to take in information, how you make decisions, and how you deal with the outer world. Type is best used to understand other people, improve communication, and develop individual skills. The first dichotomy is Extraversion (gets energy from other people) and Introversion (gets energy from reflection).  The second is

You Will Never Be As Hard on a Single Working Mother as She is On Herself

I was recently half an hour late to a Junior League of Washington meeting and a when I asked a question about something they had discussed earlier a friend made a joke about getting there on time.  Yes, within no time at all I realized she was making a joke and didn't worry about her.  The reason it hit home and I continued to worry about being late was that I was beating myself up inside about being late.  Her teasing comment was barely heard because of the screaming judgmental voice inside every single mother that says "you can't do this" or "you're doing it wrong." To give you a little perspective, let me give you an idea of what I needed to do to get to my meeting at 7:00 PM.  I needed to leave work at 5:00 PM, walk to a metro station, wait for the right train and take it to my station about six miles away, walk to my son's daycare to pick him up, get the feedback for the day from his teacher, on this particular day we had to find the shoe my s

Rule of Thumb for Leadership Development

How committed to that leadership development program you signed up for (or were nominated for) are you? Better yet, what does committed mean to you? I will try to attend the whole class except for that phone call I need to take and checking e-mails during the program. I will put my out of office on for the time of the program and attend the whole session.   I will do all the pre-work assigned. I will make notes and incorporate something from the program afterwards. I will work for at least six months to integrate the concepts, reflect on application "experiments," and revise my process. In a world where training professionals are constantly being able to state the return on investment for leadership training, the dirty little secret is that there is often very little return because the participants are not committed to the program.  Honestly, if you are not spending 7-10 hours working with the new concepts outside of the classroom for every hour you are inside th