Skip to main content

New Chapters

A little over twenty years ago, my friend and I jumped in her car the day after finals and moved to Washington, DC, without a place to live or a job (both of which were remedied within 48 hours of arriving in DC - ahhhh the good old days).  Today I pack up again.  Now I have a legal career I am proud to have served in, a new business in Executive Coaching with certifications in multiple areas, a two-year old son I couldn't be more proud of, and a new chapter ahead.

While I will return to DC for work over the next few years, I will have a new home in the heart of the Midwest.  I will miss the friends I have made here but I look forward to renewing old friendships, making new friends, and reconnecting with family I have been away from for too long.  I leave the comfort of having four Starbucks within walking distance and a grocery store in the basement of my condo for the comfort of having both parents within a mile of home.  The nearest Starbucks will be about 60 miles away, but that is drivable, right?  Not to mention there is a great home-town coffee shop on the town square.  (Is it just me or is there something incredibly grounding about a town square?)

To be honest, I go from scared to death to excited to a peaceful zen in a heartbeat.  It has been twenty years since I lived in small-town Iowa.  While people who meet me still "peg" me as from the Midwest, I worry that I have become too jaded to truly fit in.  Hopefully, leaving the beltway in my rearview mirror will go a long way to remembering my roots.

And roots are what I am looking for.  This picture was taken at Red Rock Lake in Iowa last May, one of my favorite places in the world.  Where I learned to swim.  And where I spent the better part of my childhood riding in my dad's boat.  And where my son will get to do those things as well.  Sharing this piece of the world with him is a gift I don't think I ever really hoped to have.

The scary (but also fun) part is building new business in the Midwest.  With the ink not even dry on my new certification from Gallup as a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach and my years of experience in coaching, MBTI, leadership development, and Franklin Covey programs, I bring value to my clients.  And I look forward to the journey the next few months will bring establishing myself in the community.

You know I will share as I move forward with this new chapter, but the funny thing is that nervousness that comes from blowing the barriers off of my comfort zone has made me feel more alive than I have since my son was born.  I feel like building this new reality for my son, my parents, and I and succeeding with my business is what I am supposed to be doing.  So the more nervous I become the more sure I become that I am doing the right thing.  I cannot wait for this new adventure and am excited to be able to share it with you.  

When you face a new chapter, how do you ground yourself and push through?  Do you like major changes like this or do you prefer more subtle, graduated changes?  What would you miss the most if you moved 1000 miles away from where you live now?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Extraverted Intuitive Needs to be Productive

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is based on the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl G. Jung. Jung observed that people have inborn preferences for gathering information and making decisions and that these preferences guide an individual’s behavior. The mother/daughter team of Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers expanded on Jung’s theories and created an assessment to make the combined work accessible to all individuals. Today, the assessment is used by most Fortune 100 companies and over two million people worldwide, annually. The assessment identifies an individual’s inborn preferences on four dichotomous scales: where you focus your energy, how you prefer to take in information, how you make decisions, and how you deal with the outer world. Type is best used to understand other people, improve communication, and develop individual skills. The first dichotomy is Extraversion (gets energy from other people) and Introversion (gets energy from reflection).  The second is

You Will Never Be As Hard on a Single Working Mother as She is On Herself

I was recently half an hour late to a Junior League of Washington meeting and a when I asked a question about something they had discussed earlier a friend made a joke about getting there on time.  Yes, within no time at all I realized she was making a joke and didn't worry about her.  The reason it hit home and I continued to worry about being late was that I was beating myself up inside about being late.  Her teasing comment was barely heard because of the screaming judgmental voice inside every single mother that says "you can't do this" or "you're doing it wrong." To give you a little perspective, let me give you an idea of what I needed to do to get to my meeting at 7:00 PM.  I needed to leave work at 5:00 PM, walk to a metro station, wait for the right train and take it to my station about six miles away, walk to my son's daycare to pick him up, get the feedback for the day from his teacher, on this particular day we had to find the shoe my s

Rule of Thumb for Leadership Development

How committed to that leadership development program you signed up for (or were nominated for) are you? Better yet, what does committed mean to you? I will try to attend the whole class except for that phone call I need to take and checking e-mails during the program. I will put my out of office on for the time of the program and attend the whole session.   I will do all the pre-work assigned. I will make notes and incorporate something from the program afterwards. I will work for at least six months to integrate the concepts, reflect on application "experiments," and revise my process. In a world where training professionals are constantly being able to state the return on investment for leadership training, the dirty little secret is that there is often very little return because the participants are not committed to the program.  Honestly, if you are not spending 7-10 hours working with the new concepts outside of the classroom for every hour you are inside th