I spent today hoping that crazy "Snow Hole" that settled itself over Washington, DC during the last snow storm would be back. Or, in the alternative, that it would be cold enough to just plain snow instead of sleeting and icing. Sure, I love to sit inside at my desk and watch the big snowflakes float around. What I don't love, is trying to get from here to there and back again in the middle of it all. As I look outside, I see a layer of white that makes me think the "Snow Hole" missed us. If you are local, or in the path of the snow, drive safe. Better yet, stay inside where it is nice and warm.
We've all read lots of books and articles on giving feedback, but what is the best way to receive feedback? My default response used to be to explain my position, show how I do what the person is asking, or show how I wanted to but someone else prevented me. If I am caught off guard or stressed, these are still my gut instincts. However, I have learned two much more constructive ways to respond to feedback that I strive to use more often. The first started as I became more self-aware and felt comfortable and safe acknowledging and working on my weaknesses. If someone points something I am aware of and I feel safe (i.e., it is pointed out in a private forum versus a public forum) the best thing I can do is say "I know, do you have any suggestions or advice that will help me?" If someone has the courage to step out of their comfort zone to point out a way I can improve, it is a safe bet they've thought about it beforehand. The second way to handle...
Comments
Post a Comment